Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Return of the Black Death?

A statement in the reading referred to there being medication to those that may become infected now, I thought the Black Death was all but gone, extinct. That scares me to death to think this horrendous plague could come back, seemingly at any time. With the catastrophic effects this plague had on the economy, the population of the people themselves, and all the way to the arts, I can just about get a mental image of what it would do to our more modern world. Entire states could be driven to bankruptcy or total disaster areas in a matter of a week or two, and how would we fight back from that? How would it be possible to get back to where we currently are again. I don't want to think about it, but it's something that will not be ignored.

1 comment:

Lindsay Neuhaus said...

You should read my blog from last week "Illness..." I did some digging and I found some statistics regarding the occurance of Bubonic Plague in the modern world. Roughly 18 people die per year in the united states. 500-2000 in madagascar. This illness never did go away but with the advent of modern medicine we are able to heal those who become sick or exposed. Often those who die from it are unable to seek treatment. Any wide spread outbreaks would be reported to us by the CDC and the plague would be handled in our best interest. It is important to remember that it is still out there but The Flu (Influenza) is just as dangerous and is a more recent epidemic that we cope with each year in much higher numbers than Bubonic Plague. Just make sure you have flea medicines for your pets and see your doctor and you should be fine.